TROUBLESHOOTING CONNECTION TO YOUR SKYCENTRICS APP
You can no longer connect to your SkyCentrics device
If your device was previously connected to your network but you can no longer see it on the app, or it does not respond when you change settings
Note: you will still be able to control your water heater manually using the buttons on the front even if the app does not connect. The app will take control automatically when you reset it.
Follow these steps to reconnect to your device
1. Check your home Wi-Fi is working
Your SkyCentrics device uses your home Wi-Fi network to connect to the internet and the SkyCentrics app. Check that your home Wi-Fi network is working by going online with another device (laptop, smartphone, tablet).
Note: If you are using a smartphone check that you are using the Wi-Fi connection not cellular data by switching the device into "Airplane Mode" then turn on the Wi-Fi.
If you cannot connect with any device check the service status with your internet service provider.
If you have changed your Wi-Fi password or connected a new router or modem you will need to reset your device (see below)
2. Check your have the latest version of the SkyCentrics app
You can download it free from the Apple App Store or Google Play. You can uninstall and reinstall the app to make sure.
3. Reset your ACM
See instructions below on how to reset your ACM and router
4. Check your Wi-Fi signal strength
The ACM needs to maintain a strong Wi-Fi signal to connect to the internet. If it is too far from the Wi-Fi router or there is a lot of interference it may not be able to communicate with the app.
Try using a smartphone or other Wi-Fi connected device close to the water heater and open the wireless settings. If the Signal Strength is greater than -70dBM or higher the signal strength may not be sufficient.
If possible, move your Wi-Fi router closer to the water heater if you can, or get a Wi-Fi range extender or repeater and placing it between your Wi-Fi router and your water heater.
5. Check for wireless interference
A lot of wireless devices operate on the same 2.4GHz frequency as the ACM, or produce electromagnetic interference that can interrupt wireless signals. These include:
- Cordless phones
- Baby monitors
- Bluetooth devices
- Wireless audio-visual equipment (Smart TV's, wireless speakers)
Try switching these devices off and test the ACM network connection.
If possible, move your Wi-Fi router closer to the water heater if you can, or consider getting a Wi-Fi range extender or repeater and placing it between your Wi-Fi router and your water heater.
6. Check your network settings
Certain settings on your Wi-Fi router/modem can cause your ACM to disconnect. These include:
High firewall settings: often set by anti-virus and internet security software
Consult your Wi-Fi router manual to see how to adjust these settings to let the ACM connect
When setting up your water heater you get a "Problem Detected" message
You will need to reset your ACM and router (see below)
How to reset your ACM
1. Open the room panel on the front of the water heater (see instruction manual if you cannot find it)
2. Insert a straightened paper clip into the reset hole and hold it under the light blinks pink
3. Restart the setup process by logging into the app and selecting "Set Up Device"
Note: be very careful to check your Wi-fi network password before you start
4. If the setup is successful the light will turn blue
If this does not work you will need to reset your Wi-fi connection then start again:
Reset your Wi-fi router
Restarting your router will reset your internet connection. You should also restart any Wi-Fi range extenders or repeaters.
1. Unplug your modem and router power cords. You may have a combination modem/router, or they may be separate devices. All the lights on your modem and router should be off.
3. Your modem and router will restart. Wait a couple of minutes or until you see steady power and connection lights. You may also see a quickly flashing data light.
Note: Every router is different. You may need to consult your router’s user manual for specific instructions on how to restart your router.
4. Reset your ACM as above
If this still does not work check your router's firewall settings (refer to the router manual) or contact your cable provider or Network Administrator
Locating the ACM label
If you do not have the original ACM label that came with your water heater you can find it by opening the room panel on the front of the water heater